Green cards

The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance proving visiting motorists have the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country visited.

The current Government guidance to UK motor policyholders who are travelling within the EU/EEA, including the Republic of Ireland from 1st January 2021 is that a Green Card will now be required. If this guidance changes due to negotiations over the coming weeks, then we will review what actions or documents are needed and advise accordingly. This doesn’t change the cover provided by your insurance policies.

Our clients with vehicle/fleet insurance via Risk Hub who intend to drive abroad will need to contact us in advance to arrange the necessary paperwork. We will require the following information:

  • Dates of  travel
  • Name/s of the driver/s
  • Names/s of the countries visited
  • Vehicle registration number, make and model
  • Trailer or caravan make if applicable


Note that your motor certificate currently documents European cover but the current advice is that a Green Card will need to be carried along with the motor certificate from 1st January 2021.

Digital copies of the card will be provided to you but please be aware that all motorists need to carry a printed copy of their document, although this no longer needs to be printed on green paper. The card will need to be issued by your insurer so please provide adequate time for it to be processed (some insurers are requesting 15-30 days before travel if possible).